Interior Designer Resume : An interior designer is a person who follows an organized and synchronized methodology into a creative process to achieve a built interior environment and home lifestyle enhancement.
The basic job of an interior designer is to use and harmonize various colors, textures, furniture, lighting, and space to produce an interior space that fulfills the project goals. He/she uses his knowledge and creativity to enhance the function, safety, and aesthetics of interior spaces.
Interior designers generally plan interior spaces of almost every kind of building, such as offices, theaters, airport terminals, schools, universities, shopping malls, hotels, restaurants, hospitals, and private residences.
Job Description for Interior Designer:
Job description for Interior Designer may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Meets with department heads or representatives to determine interior architecture needs including determining space utilization and fabric and color selections of wall, floor, and window coverings.
Understands individual clients’ needs and the needs of the people using the building, developing design concepts in consultation with the client and establishing final briefs; Considers materials and costs according to set budgets and negotiating project fees.
Conducts feasibility studies for projects; Researches and gathering information and photographs relating to the project; Maintains illustrative materials on available products and materials for selection by the user; Procures furnishings, materials and equipment.
Performs necessary drafting work for projects; Sources products, for example fittings, furniture, lighting, finishes, decoration and dressing, and providing samples for clients; Prepares detailed working drawings, designs, plans, models and schemes, often using computer-aided design (CAD) software; Surveys buildings; Supervises work at the design stage and on-site; Keeps up-to-date with new developments in the design industry.
Tips for Writing Interior Designer Resume:
Some of the most important tips for writing an Interior Designer resume are as follows:
- Divide the Interior Designer Resume into separate sections and subsections along with short paragraphs and bulleted points to make it easily legible.
- Provide all essential details including full name, contact information, telephone numbers, permanent address, email address, and objective.
- Write your major professional achievements as Interior Designer next to the objective section to give an idea about the quantifiable results of your work.
- Since the Professional Experience section is very important for the Interior Designer job, so it should be above the Education section.
- If possible, describe your professional experience and related basic job responsibilities in bullets.
- Include all major skills that are relevant to interior designing in the Skills section to highlight your capabilities.
There are several things that should be included in an interior designer resume, which are as follows:
- Write a job objective in your resume that strikes a chord with the employer.
- It is significant to summarize your strengths and key qualifications in the top half of the first page, which can be done with the Professional Accomplishments section.
- When writing a Professional Experience section, always highlight your achievements.
- Under each employer, include a bulleted list of your major achievements, and show quantifiable results of your research work in this section.
- Include your most important academic qualifications in your resume that are exclusively related to interior designing.
- Involve a list of your major interior designing-related skills in your resume that can provide benefit to the employer.
- Include the professional affiliations, and professional training, workshops, and seminars that you have attended related to your profession if any.
Things that need to be avoided in an Interior Designer resume are as under:
- Don’t write too many responsibilities and accomplishments in your resume as they will conceal the important points.
- Never give a long list of skills as it will only be viewed with skepticism.
- Don’t falsify information in any condition.
- Don’t include extraneous personal information, such as your hobbies, health, social security number, age, height, weight, religion, citizenship, race, marital status, or names of your wife and kids.
- Never include research papers, dissertations, or lists of publications.
- Don’t include photos in your resume.
- Don’t make your resume too long, as anywhere from one to three pages is appropriate.
Actions words are of great help to make a professional-looking resume. These words can be used in the Professional Achievements and Professional Experience sections of the Interior Designer Resume. Some of the most important action words are as under:
Acquired, Advised, Appreciated, Assisted, Created, Designed, Developed, Discussed, Done, Ensured, Established, Handled, Helped, Learned, Managed, Oversaw, Planned, Prepared, Provided, Qualified, Redecorated, Remodeled, Selected, Set, Specified, Supervised.
The interview is the most significant part of a recruitment process, which extensively affects the selection or rejection of a job candidate. Therefore, the candidate needs to be well prepared for the interview. You can also check How to Negotiate Salary in Interview in India?
Some of the most noteworthy interview tips that need to be followed when preparing for an interview for the Interior Designer post are as under:
- Create a list of most common interview questions related to interior designing and answers, or you can answer them by yourself.
- Determine field trends related to interior designing, which are presently happening in your field and how to face or solve them.
- Recognize attributes, features, or abilities essential for Interior Designer, which are related to this job and how to get them.
- During an interview, always maintain a professional demeanor and desist from discussing personal issues.
- At the end of the interview, express gratitude and appreciation to the interviewers for their time.
Interior Designer Resume Download
1234 Main Street Anywhere, CA 12345
(555) 555-5555 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recognized for ability to conceptualize impressive designs and build client relationships.
- Expertise in managing consulting firm’s interior design sector, building and training creative teams.
- Instrumental in design team that won many awards.
More than four years of experience directing commercial and residential interior design, renovation, and relocation projects. Immaculate taste with an eye for the smallest detail. Proven track record of conceptualizing the client’s needs and developing well-designed finished products. Demonstrates excellence in conducting client interviews, negotiating, and managing multiple projects simultaneously. Delivers projects on time and within budget. Core competencies:
|||Interior Design Visionary||•||Manage Interior Design Sector||•||Design Training & Development|
| Remodeling & Design Makeovers||• Space Planning||• Business & Project Management|
|||Finance Management||•||Estimating & Budgeting||•||Client / Vendor Relationship|
|||Negotiations||•||Meeting & Planning Coordination||•||Process & Systems Improvement|
BACHELORS OF ARCHITECTURE
School of Architecture
MALINAD COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
Hassan, Karnataka, India
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Participated in design teams that won national awards and were featured in respective magazines.
Young Enthused Architect 2004, A+D Spectrum Foundation Awards
Project: Residence of Mr. & Mrs. Subaiah @ HSR Layout
Habitat Award 2005
Project: Aura Seafood Restaurant
IA&B Young Designers Award
Project Residence for Mr. & Mrs. Subaiah.
|||AutoCAD 2007||•||Photoshop Creative Suite 3||•||Word / Excel|
|||REVIT Architecture 2009||•||Illustrator Creative Suite 3||•||PowerPoint|
(555) 555-5555 email@example.com
VINNU PONNAPPA ARCHITECTS PVT., LTD.
An architectural design consulting firm in Bangalore, India.
2004 – 2008
Principal Interior Designer!Team Lead ! Manager ! Project Manager ! Project Coordinator
Promoted as the Principal Interior Design, managing operations of the entire interior design sector of a consulting firm. Interpreted the client’s goals, lifestyle, and taste into aesthetically pleasing environments. Trained junior architects to supervise projects to completion, quality maintenance, and design implementation.
Monitored team members’ design development and provided design advice. Researched and collected new product specifications to be incorporated in future designs. Collaborated with the project coordinator on external suppliers and agents. Coordinated with internal teams. Planned, designed and furnished residential projects ranging from $10K-$30K.
- Recognized for unique designs, using new materials and techniques.
- Dealt well with challenging site problems and made tactical business decisions resulting in efficiency of work.
- Catered to the high-end clientele of the firm such as ‘The World Schools,’ ‘Kadkani River Resorts,’ and ‘Woodstock Service Apartments,’ projects ranging from $150K-$300K.
- Selected twice to write interior design advice columns on behalf of a design firm published in national newspapers.
TEAM LEAD & MANAGER
Drove creative design staff and target-driven work culture, empowering team members to be independent of making tactical business decisions and improving efficiency. Supervised and trained Interior Architects to provide unique designs and accurate estimates within the project budget.
Managed and oversaw each architect’s project schedule on weekly basis. Analyzed and monitored efficiency levels of the team members in areas like time management, finance management, project coordination, and client/vendor relationship.
Ensured quick and efficient handling of the client problems/Inquiries with courtesy, fairness and equity. Traveled throughout the country to oversee out-of-town projects.
- Trained junior architects to handle their own individual projects, improving the productivity of the firm.
- Built outstanding client/architect relationships, increasing clientele for interior design firm.
- Improved interaction and collaboration of ideas from all members of the teams through group discussions and seminars.
Planned, conceptualized and designed residential buildings ranging from 10k-30k. Specialized in modular kitchen design. Produced detailed designs, elevations, electrical and lighting plan, plumbing, and necessary civil details. Estimated material cost and cost of execution to be presented to the clients.
Advised clients on Interior design Factors such as space planning & layout, use of furnishings and equipment’s, color coordination and lighting. Coordinated with the external agencies, product suppliers and material delivery to synchronize with the project plan. Supervised most projects to completion, quality maintenance and design implementation. Site visits and client meeting as deemed necessary.
Managed all phases of a Multi-million dollar project. Prepared and administered project budgets, approving all expenditures and payrolls. Estimated the project time and focused on standardization of the process to reach targets.
Ensured compliance with the basic standards of design with incorporation of anthropocentric data and Ergonomics. Supervised site Architects, foremen and laborers. Hired and scheduled the subcontractors.
- Drove project process to implement creative vision, reach targets, and complete by deadline.